Representing 12 municipalities and with almost 100 dedicated staff, the Grande Spirit Foundation provides reasonably priced housing, quality care and dignity to seniors and families in the Grande Prairie area.
The Grande Spirit Foundation was formed in 1960, although the commitment to housing and caring for area Seniors Citizens goes back to just after the Second World War. The municipal leaders of the region decided that a home for the Seniors Citizens of the area was needed and in 1949 the first home was built.
Since that time there has been:
- 4 senior Lodges built with 277 units offering meals, housekeeping, recreation, assistance with medication and 24 hour staffing
- 15 Senior Apartment Complexes with 278 units offering both independent living, and supportive living with tenants accessing services as needed.
In addition to the senior facilities, the Grande Spirit Foundation’s mandate expanded in 1993 to include housing services for low income families and individuals. Four housing options are available:
- Direct rentals of publicly owned buildings
- Private Landlord Rent Supplement Program
- Direct Rent Supplement Assistance
- Affordable Housing Program
The Grande Spirit Foundation also manages 17 wheelchair accessible units and a 70 unit affordable housing apartment building for the Grande Prairie Residential Society, as well as Hearthstone Manor, which is a 40 unit affordable housing apartment building owned by the City of Grande Prairie.